Process: I felt like doing some sort of Christmas theme, so I looked for images of lights that were simple and beautiful, with space for my design. I decided to go with a monochromatic color scheme, using brick. The audience I was going for was really broad to encompass anyone really, but I wanted to give it a tasteful, classy feel. My first draft was greatly helped by some awesome critiques.
Critiques: Originally, my smaller text boxes were differing shades on the brick scale. However, Shawdee Snow, Meghan Farner and Sarah Bringhurst all suggest that I stick with the same whitish shade that I had used for the title, so I switched that. Shawdee also had the amazing idea to make my original boxy text boxes into circles to unify the design, which I did. Brent Fisher suggested adding a touch more yellow to my text boxes to better pull together the colors. I also had a vertical design element line in my title text bubble and he recommended making it horizontal. I tried that, but neither way felt right, so I just eliminated it. Brent said that my smaller boxes’ rag went in and out and suggested I shape the text to match the shape of the circle, so I did. Sister Peterson said that for our project she would like to see us practice alignment other than center, so I made the date and time circle right alignment and the more information circle left alignment. I also took her suggestion and grouped my date and time together better, as well as used typography to add some contrast and interest. I increased the size of the date numbers and made them into the same font I used in my title. Also at her suggestion, I decreased the font size of “Amherst Village” in the title. Christina Carrick felt the alignment was a little random, and Sister Peterson said that the logo seemed to be random. I had put it there because the image contained one blue orb that I felt was distracting to the design and I wanted to cover it up. However, I placed a shape over top of it and tried to match the color so that it created a little patch. I then moved the logo to center align it under the light orbs in the photo, diagonal align it from the date and time just as is the more info box, and align to the right of the more info box.
Process: I found the scripture quote that I wanted to use, then I searched for images online that would invoke a feeling of peace. I searched for nature settings to do so, until I found the one that best fit. I wanted the message to be the peace that coming unto Christ can bring. My audience is anyone who needs to feel a little peace in their lives or who need or want a little spiritual boost. After I found the image I wanted to use, I opened it in Microsoft Word, enlarged it to fill the page, then flipped it to a landscape layout. I created a text box for scripture, and a separate text box for the word “peace”. I put a design element of a small circle on either side of the word “peace,” and I matched the color to a pink in the sunset. I contrasted my typefaces by using two different font styles, and by making the title larger as well.
Critique Report: I poste my design on our class Facebook page on Monday, and I received feedback from Christina Garrick and April Bethea. I also emailed my design to Ben Harker on Tuesday and received his feedback. I submitted my design on the Notes page in I-Learn on Monday and received feedback from Sister Peterson Wednesday night. April, Christina and Ben all thought that my original design element was too subtle, so I enlarged it a bit. April and Sister Peterson both noticed that the first two letters of my title had been unintentionally bolded, so I fixed that. April also notice that I had an extra space in front of one of my words, so I removed that as well. April suggested trying for a more perfect alignment of my title and body copy, so I attempted to correct that. April and Sister Peterson both recommended that I put the scripture reference the same size as the rest of my body copy, so I put it at 11 point as well. Ben thought that the title at the bottom of the page drags your eyes away from the design, but I liked the way that it felt to me, and Sister Peterson said it was like the water was flowing to the words, so I kept it the same. Ben also suggested a semi-transparent whit box behind the text to improve the visibility of the words. I played around with it a bit, but nothing felt right, and Sister Peterson didn’t mention anything about it, so I left it as it was. Sister Peterson said that the edge of “P” in my title seemed to be leading to a dot, and recommended that I slightly move my other dot to make it look as though the end of the “e” was doing the same, so I adjusted that. She also recommended that I add another dot for additional repetition, so I placed another, smaller one just before the body copy started.
Please forgive the poor photo quality, as well as my childish drawing skills. I am currently 1700 miles away from home (Arizona), in Indiana. We had snow the other day, which was my inspiration for this gestalt activity. The basic shape that I used was a diamond. I repeated it using different sizes, and gave the snowflake an overall diamond shape as well.